Monday 17 November 2008

Christingle

We're not a very religious family, I mean I was christened into the Church of England faith a month after I was born, we went to Christmas Carol concerts, the usual weddings, christenings and funerals but nothing major.

My primary school was directly opposite the church and half the Christmas plays I was in were held in the church. I remember the grave yard creeped me out but it was and still is a beautiful historic building (if not a little cold) that played a part in my childhood.

One of the services we went to when I was younger was the Christingle. It was held at the during advent we were each give one these.

The orange represents the world, the red ribbon tied around it represents the blood of Christ, the four sticks with fruit on them represent the fruits of the earth and the four season and the candle represents Jesus the light of the world.

This ceremony wasn't mandatory, but we went as a family.

Now onto the point of this story as part of the journey for the class I'm taking it's about recording our memories, I remember one distinct Christingle ceremony the children would go up to the front and receive their christingle. At the time I had a very bushy fringe, when I received my christingle I held it too close and singed my hair, whether it was a sign I don't know but burnt hair smells for quite sometime. As I grew older we stopped going for some reason but I will always remember the fact that the light of the world tried to set me on fire.








Shanna xx

No comments: