Monday 29 June 2015

Starting To Grow Up

I’m 31 years old and I live with my grandparents.

When I was little I lived with my parents in a small village, but just before I was five we moved in with my grandparents as it was closer to school. My parents got divorced when I was 8, so we stayed living with my grandparents throughout the rest of my childhood.

When I was 18 I went to university, first I lived in the dorms, then in a rented room. My last year I stayed with a friend three days a week, and the last six months I moved back home and commuted as it was cheaper. When I moved back home, my Mum had married a Welsh guy and we moved back to Swansea and my grandparents had moved up to the house next door. So I moved in with my grandparents while I look for a job.

When I was getting to the point when I could just about afford to move out we found out my grandfather had Alzheimer's so I stayed, then he had a stroke. So someone needed to be here to keep an eye on them at night.

But the other day  I put an offer in on a little house up the road, it has three bedrooms so my grandparents are going to move up with me while our house gets renovated, the damp proof coursing needs fixing and they need a downstairs bathroom built.

After it’s done, I’m not sure whether I will move back with them and rent out the house or stay as is only 8 houses away.

But finally I am starting to grow up.

 

Shanna

No comments: