Tuesday 18 November 2008

First Computer.

When I was a kid we had some sort of Atari and we had SNES where my brother completed every game under the sun in a matter of days, but it is the memory of our first proper computer that stays with me.

In primary school we had one of those really old computers that had the six inch square discs and I have great memories of play a game called Granny's Garden.

But the first proper computer my family had was bought around in the mid nineties. The year is a little fuzzy but I remember it was a few days after Christmas my mum and I caught the train to Exeter and decided to walk to the Marsh Barton trading estate where PC World was housed to buy a computer. She had borrowed the money from my grandparents. I remember feeling excited as we walked, what we didn't realise was that it was over a two mile walk.

By the time we got their we were exhausted. I remember how big the store was and how many options we had. We spent about an hour choosing which model we wanted, and then I remember waiting as she filled out the paperwork. The excitement as we walked back to the train discussing our new purchase. The excitement when it arrive a few days later, setting it and figuring out how it all worked.

It took us a few years to get the Internet as my mum kept refusing but eventually broke down. It opened up a whole new world to us and led my mum to meeting my stepfather.

In the intervening years I've had three lap tops and now my own desktop but I'll always remember that computer.

Shanna xx

No comments: